04 March 2011

Yorksgen 2011 genealogy gathering: will I see you there?

As I will be in England in July, I have decided to go to 'Yorksgen 2011'. This genealogy get-together in York has been held almost every year since 2000. Yorksgen visitors come from all over the world. Bookings for 2011 already include family historians from the UK, USA, Australia and New Zealand, and many Yorkshire folk will be on hand to share their valuable local knowledge.

We will have ensuite single rooms in self-catering accommodation in the very new houses at the University of York. There is a large communal kitchen in which we can chat, hold meetings and generally help each other with research. There will be a programme of trips, tours and talks. We can join in if we wish, or do our own thing. (Some days I will be a family historian, and some days I will just be a tourist!)

Yorksgen dates are 16th to 23rd and 23rd to 30th July 2011. You can come for one week or two, or just a few days. (I have booked for two weeks.) At just 110 pounds per person per week (about 165USD, 185AUD or 230NZD), this is amazing value. Come on your own or bring a friend or partner. If they are not into family history, they will have no trouble finding something to do in the beautiful city of York, and trips to all parts of Yorkshire can easily be arranged.

The centre of York is about 10 minutes away by bus, and the Borthwick Institute (where I am keen to do some research) is a few minutes walk from the accommodation. Local libraries have good resources, and York is a great centre for visiting archives all over the county. The North Yorkshire County Record Office at Northallerton is easily accessible by train.

Have you been to one of the Yorksgen gatherings? Do you intend to be there this year? If so, please add a comment below.

P.S. In view of the number of tweets and private emails I've received, I should probably add this:

Yorksgen organisers are very helpful if you email a question. Yes, I believe it is possible to come for just a day or so. No, I don't know when the activities programme will be finalised. I have not been to Yorksgen before, but I think it is all rather easy-going, not like a formal conference. If you send an email to the address shown on the Web page I mentioned, I'm sure Janice or one of her colleagues will advise you.

2 comments:

  1. Yorksgen 2011 will be the best yet! There is still time to sign up for this genealogy / family history holiday of a lifetime! Come along and walk where your ancestors walked and see some of the sights they saw. See you in York in July? I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On 18 May, this announcement was made on Rootsweb's 'Yorksgen' mailing list:

    This is a last call for anyone wishing to join us at Yorksgen 2011 at York. We have rooms available for Week Two, that is, 23rd to 30th July. For details, see www.yorksgen.com - follow the link to Yorksgen 2011.

    ReplyDelete

If you think we are related, or if you want to comment but cannot do so because of restrictions designed to block spam, please email me at the address shown in the sidebar here (or an alternative address shown on www.judywebster.com.au).